So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Friday, January 1, 2010

My Ego in the hands of a Preschooler

Okay, so I thought I'd be young and cute today, so I put braids in my hair. I'm not a hair expert, so it took me almost a half hour to do two braids. I was feeling so la-de-dah, and then my 4 year old saw me and said, "Ug! Mom! Ewww! You look bad!" So what if he's 4, it was a blow to my ego. Joseph was a good little boy and said, "Jensen, you shouldn't say that. It will hurt her feelings." I asked Jensen what he didn't like about me. He said, "Those dangly things in your hair." "Those are braids," I said. "I don't like 'em," he said. End of discussion.
I debated on whether to keep them in or not. Okay, so I did look a bit like a 40 year old trying to look 10, but hey, I was in a young mood, remember. Then Paul came and was the fair prince that I married all those years ago, "Hey, you look cute!" he said as he grabbed me for a kiss. "Thanks. Jensen said I'm ugly in these braids." "He's 4," Paul replied as if that explained everything.
I later asked Jensen, "What if you grow up and see a cute girl with braids?" "I won't like her." "What if you like a cute girl and then she wears braids later?" "I'd like her, but not the braids." And that's that. So, anyone trying to win this boy's heart, stick to the straight iron.

4 comments:

ABranch said...

I had the (almost) the same experience but my 4 year old was 12.... :)

Patricia Kay said...

Isn't it nice to be reminded why we fell in love with the man we married. They can in a few words make us feel like the queens we want to be.

Maghann said...

Oh that boy has the funniest brain! And p.s. Paul made him cry at the primary activity - I hope you don't hate my husband now. He picked Jensen up to play with him and turned him upside down to tickle him...and then he realized that Jensen was crying really hard and didn't understand why. I came to the rescue, though. But Jensen may never want be in Paul's presence again. I guess Paul can't win 'em all :(

Stizz said...

Those preschool kids can be smart smart alec's. :) The way their minds work...so simple, so blunt, so entertaining. :) I'm glad Paul liked the braids though. I'm sure you looked cute...but not TOO cute. :)