So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Return of A Champion

Okay, so it should be "return of most improved/inspirational", but hey, it's a return nonetheless. One of my goals for the past few months has been to get more active. I've actually walked for 6 days now! Whoo-hoo!, as well as added in a few sit ups and a few push ups. When the sign-up for church basketball came around, I debated back and forth whether or not to add my name to the list. Personal conversation: "Now, if you sign up Teresa, you have to mean it." "I know, I know." "And it's early morning games...on Saturday!" "Urgh. I know. I think I can handle it." "Hmm. I don't know about that." "Look, I need to get in shape." "You'll probably pull every muscle and pass out." "True." I hesitate; my hand suspended in mid-air. Then I throw caution to the wind and sign. Now I have to do it.
24 years ago I was on the high school basketball team. I started my renown career as a senior (in a very small school, so they were desperate). I played both JV and Varsity. Though not the most skillful player, I was the most enthusiastic...thus the "Most Inspirational" and "Most Improved" awards. (My coach also said I had the weirdest shaped ankles she'd ever seen.)
So, this morning I went to my first game. For the first two quarters I was just a shufflin' body on the court. Slowly the old "skills" came back and I even made a basket. The following "happy" dance nearly did me in, but it was fun and I even got my heart rate up. This could be a beautiful thing.
Before I close this record of my triumphant return to the court, I have to tell you about these special shoes. They are the shoes I wore in my High School games all those years ago. They are my treasures. Sure, they are great shoes...the best in the day; but that's not why I love them. I came from a family of 10, on a teacher's salary. Ya, we were poor. I paid for almost everything I had: clothes, school fees, gifts for friends, treats...everything. I was working hard academically to earn a college scholarship, as well as doing any odd job I could to pay for both my daily expenses and save for college. I didn't have any real athletic shoes. My coach told me I needed to get some. What was I going to do? I couldn't spare the money. My parents stepped in and said they'd pay for them. It brings tears to my eyes even now. I knew what a sacrifice it would be for them. I almost felt guilty picking them out, but deep joy was the main emotion. My mom encouraged me to go for good ones that would last and support my "weird" ankles, and not settle for the cheapest. These cost almost $40, which was pricey for the day. Boy, did I baby these shoes! I only wore them on the court; cleaned them all the time; and have carried them with me for over 20 years. (Okay, so they've only had a year of use, but still.) It was a special moment putting them on again, all these years later. I still feel the love of my mom and dad when I wear them...and I think that love even helps me play better. True treasures.

5 comments:

Maghann said...

Yay Teresa!! You are so much more than la-de-da- you are totally awesome!! That is such a great and sweet story about your shoes :)

Patricia Kay said...

Go Teresa! You can do it! I can't believe you still have those shoes. I remember how proud I was to watch you play your games. I think Dad had the loudest voice in the gym cheering for his daughter.

ABranch said...

Such a fun sweet story. I did not know you played basket ball. I think anyone who can walk/run and dribble a ball are amazing! That was always my downfall....

Stizz said...

Woo hoo for you! I'm proud of you...walking 6 days in a row, doing push-ups, sit-ups AND playing basketball?! Wowzers! You're showing me up, kid. :) The only exercise I've had since the year began was my soccer game last night...and believe me, I could tell. :) It pays to stay in shape...if only I could remember that on the days I want to be lazy. :) That's crazy you still have those shoes. I'm surprised Paul hasn't made you throw them out yet. :) It's great that you have a reminder of that time in life as well as a reminder of what great parents we have. How'd we get so lucky? :)

Unknown said...

Old sneaks carry more than we give them credit for. Good decisions are often hard and cause us to break a sweat. Good choice...I just hope you can get that Granny shot back to the way you had it your senior year.