So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Skintastic!

This is an odd little post, but I've been thinking about how fabulous our skin is!
It's the largest organ in the body.
If you get a little sliver, the skin can absorb it.
If you get a big sliver, the skin produces fluid around the foreign body and forces it to the top of the skin to be removed.
It constantly regenerates itself. (On average the top surface renews every month!)
It can bond together after even severe lacerations!
It can register temperatures and even emotions.
It's a great protector.
And on and on....

Instead of worrying about the color and the wrinkles on our skin, I think we should just joy in how miraculous it is!

5 comments:

ABranch said...

:)
skin is cool!
-Your skin loses about 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells from the surface almost every minute, even though you do not see it happening.
-Goose bumps are actually little pimples that help retain a layer of warm air over our body.
-Your skin swells when it absorbs water.

Stizz said...

Hey thanks for that good reminder, I'll need to remember that come April and my age goes up another digit. :)

Maghann said...

I like the way you think, tink ;)

tink said...

I like the way I think too Maghann. ;-) And Steph, with all that exercise, your skin will stay toned and wrinkle free for decades little missy.
I loved reading your additional facts Angie! Skin is fabulous!

Patricia Kay said...

In our house skin is a common topic. We appreciate that skin can heal. As for wrinkles I think of Grandpa Kubalek's amazing wrinkles. They say so much about him. I love those wrinkles. Grandma Jensen had the softest skin and I always wanted my face to be as soft and smooth as hers.
Thanks for the reminder.