So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Terrific Threes

Three year olds are great! Paul and I are constantly amazed at the antics of our son. The way his mind thinks, the phrases he picks up, and his unorthodox reasoning, keep us in stitches. Right now he is sitting by my bed with the box of wipes open. He needed to wipe his face, I guess, so his method is to take wipes one by one, roll them into a ball, and smear them around his face. He is on about number 6. After he has used one, he shakes it out and lays it back in the box. He's learning to recycle.
For dinner we had Shrimp Pasta Primavera. Here is our experience with our 3 year old. "I don't like crab!!" "It's not crab, honey. It's shrimp. You like shrimp." "No, it's ucky." The rest of the family eats, he only touches his drink and stomps off. Later we are having ice cream for dessert. "I want some ice cream." "Okay, but you have to eat your dinner." "NO! It's UCKY!" More time passes. Now it's time for bargaining and compromise. We will warm it and put butter on the noodles and he agrees to eat it, well, most of it. He sits down looks at the food and changes his mind. Paul has the brilliant idea to cover his eyes. Who would have thought it, but this works! Of course he has to eat every bite with his eyes covered with Paul's hand, but hey, we're not complaining, he's even eating some of the "crab". Half way through our son starts quoting Star Wars and says before each bite "Lock on target" in his serious voice. Paul and I are thoroughly entertained. Who needs to spend $50 on dinner and a movie when you have a bundle of entertainment all rolled up into a little 3 year old.
My 3 year old makes me happy.

7 comments:

Graydon Blair said...

I am glad that you have so much fun with 3 year olds. I have a different opinion. It has been my experience that 2 year olds are fun and discovering and learning new things everyday. They are sweet, cute and fun. then they hit 3. The Terrible Threes.

Emily went through them and Josh is now doint the same thing. Sure they have their cute moments, but they are not as frequent as the rest.

Covering the eyes was a good idea. I have found the my kids are more willing to eat when I tell them NOT to eat it and then act upset when they do. The love it!!

Good luck.

VJBlair said...

By the way, that last comment was from me.

Valerie

Stizz said...

I like how he uses quotes from all his favorite shows. I think 3 is one of my favorite ages. :)

ABranch said...

"lock on target" I love it!

Brynn said...

I'll have to try the eye cover. I have to say that I also love the comic with the toothbrush and toliet paper :)

Patricia Kay said...

I must admit that every age seems to have it's momments. I remember Jennifer saying that they had to make sure that they recorded some of the "cute" 13 year old things her girls were doing. 2-6 seems to be a big adventure since anything is possible and the imagination is at an all time high. Just ask Preston.

Mindy said...

The TERRIFIC THREES!! Carson will be three in a week and is already showing signs...