So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

LEXICON

Have you noticed how people use a limited vocabulary. When I hear someone swear, I think "Hmm, couldn't you think of something more clever to say?" We all get a little lazy with our words. I use slang frequently, so I am the last one to judge. One of my favorite shows is Project Runway (I'll write a future post on it). One of the hosts is Tim Gunn. He constantly uses unusual words and rarely speaks slang or swear words. He is a class act. I decided to follow his lead and add a little creativity to my speech. I have been discovering more words in my quest to broaden my vocabulary. There are a plethora (a really cool word) of words that make me happy and are fun to say. They actually feel amazing on my tongue. Here are some words that make me happy:
persnickety
finicky
discombobulated
correspondence
lackadaisical
spectacular
formulation
coagulate
delectable
These are wonderful words and they are more interesting than some of the everyday choices I usually use. What are some of the fabulous words that make you smile? For cheap and intellectual entertainment, go discover a new, exciting word and give it a whirl. It could lead to some splendid conversation.

2 comments:

Patricia Kay said...

Jennifer and I as youth were concerned with our lack of vocabulary. So everyday we would go to the dictionary open it without looking and point to a word. Then we would make each other use it throughout the day. I know that we did this for a few days but the only word that I remember from this game was flatulence. Probably because it made us giggle.

Mindy said...

Your posts really do give me HAPPY THOUGHTS!! I LOVE writing and the art of vocabulary!! Some fabulous words off the top of my head that make me smile and are "fancy" as Fancy Nancy would say... entranced, precocious, luscious, extravagant, dazzling, scrumptious, tantalizing, exquisite, loquacious, captivating, enchanting, hysterical, stupendous, glamorous, fastidious, eloquent, superlative, colloquialism, imaginative, magnificent, accessorize, allacazoo, and pinkalicious!!