So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Monday, June 15, 2009

Hot Tunes

I am making a summer CD for my neice Naomi, and I got thinking about songs that say summer to me (meaning that not every song I choose for this 12 year old sweetie would be my choice for the season...me being in the category of "an oldie, but goodie"). Anyway, I thought I'd share some with you:
*Near the top would have to be some Bossa Nova. I especially love Bebel Gilberto, Astrud Gilberto, and Rosalia de Souza (who's new CD came out this year and I think I'm going to get it).
*Who could have a summer without the B52's? You're right, no one. I especially like: "Girl from Impanema Goes to Greenland"; "Theme from a Nude Beach" (because if you are on a nude beach I guess you need a theme - but I love the song anyway); and the BEST dance song ever "Love Shack".
*I would have to add a little jazz - maybe some Norah Jones.
*Then a dash of psychedelic lounge: Brazilian Girls, Supreme Beings of Leisure, and of course The Bird and the Bee.
*Finally mix in: "Spaceman" by the Killers; "I Get the Message" by Ivy; and "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" by Jet; and it would be practically perfect.

Now here's the fun part: leave a comment of what some of your favorite summer songs are, and you will be entered to win a $10 iTunes gift card. I know what you are thinking....how could I possibly get any more amazing and I do something like this. ;-) I'll draw the winning entry number Tuesday afternoon, June 23rd.
Can't wait to read your replies.

9 comments:

Migaloo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Migaloo said...

I like Cemet'ry Gates by the Smiths. "A dreaded sunny day, so let's go where we're happy and I'll meet you at the cemet'ry gates . . ." Ah, nothing says summer like that.

Stizz said...

Now you're speakin' my language... music. :) You know I could make an endless list, but I'll just give you some that I've been listening to lately. "Borne On the FM Waves of the Heart" by Against Me! "Love is Free" by Sheryl Crow, "Walking On a Dream" by Empire of the Sun, "Ready" by Kelly Clarkson (you've seen my blog, the whole CD's a good summer one), "Be Mine" by Robyn, "Until You're Over Me" by Maroon 5 (has a bit of a Prince feel), "Delicate" and Cannonball" by Damien Rice, "Your Heart" and "You Remind Me" by Andy Shauf and no summer (or any season for that matter) would be complete without a little BTE...but one of their summer songs is "This Time of Year".

buttercup said...

I definitely have to agree with any song by the B-52s. Whenever I hear soak up the sun by Sheryl Crow I think of summer. The summer before my mission Bahama Mama and I went on a road trip and we had some great tunes Mr. Wendall by Arrested Development and Freedom by George Michael. Last Summer I listened exclusively to Colie Caillat and the Weepies. I like all of their songs. Oh and Love Song by Sarah Bareilles- I like her even more because Migaloo was thoughtful enough to get me her autographed CD. Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves is another good one. Too many to name here--and yes you are AH-MAZING!

Leslie Moseley said...

"School's out for Summer" comes to mind. Not sure if that's the real title but you definitely know which song I'm thinking of. Surfin' Safari and the whole collection of surf songs cuz you certainly wouldn't want to surf in the winter. Fun, Fun, Fun by the Beach Boys sounds like summer to me too. As Robyn said, too many to name. As silly as it may seem, one of my favorite songs is The Hey Song for football!

Nadine said...

Well, I haven't heard of most of those songs, but I'm sure she'll like whatever you put together. I think for a twelve year old...some nice songs for summer would be "The Burrito Song", and anything by The All American Rejects or Flyleaf.

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...

Some of the first songs I thought of are... "Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crows, "Summertime" by The Sundays, "Soak Up the Sun" by Sheryl Crow and anything by The Beach Boys!!

Patricia Kay said...

This is a toughy for me because I never seem to be able to remember the names of songs or who sings them. Aaah, so frustrating! Here are a few that I do rmember. Beautiful Day by U2. Happiness. Girl From Impanema.