So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Moving On

For the last few weeks I have been helping my mom move into a new apartment near me. Moving is quite a process. I have moved a lot in my life. By the time I was 17 I had moved 15 times, and there's been many more since. I have moved within the same town, across the country, and across the ocean. Each move brought with it challenges and adventures. The hardest thing about moving is saying good-bye to friends. The best thing about moving is saying hello to new ones. I have met some incredible people each place I have lived. Have you noticed that you can be miserable in a mansion if surrounded by rude people, and be totally happy in a shack if surrounded by kind, helpful neighbors.
Anyway, my mom is starting to make new friends. I met one friend, Doug. He's a hoot. After a short conversation with him, I told him we were going to get along great. Here's some of his comments. "One of my sons lives in Utah; not in the area though. He's the one that does my hair. He doesn't come that often." Doug is mostly bald. Then he was telling us about a visit he had to Germany years ago. He purchased some books about the Olympics that were held there before WWII. A man came up to him while he was there and told Doug they wouldn't let him take the books out of the country. Doug's side comment to us was "He was full of it, and I don't mean good food." Mom and I had a good laugh. If most of the people mom meets are as enjoyable and entertaining as Doug, I'd say she's gonna love it here.

4 comments:

Migaloo said...

Where did you get that picture of me with the packing tape?!! (Larry really wasn't happy with me.) Sheesh, you let one picture get taken and all of the sudden it's all over the internet.

ABranch said...

I agree. Its hard leaving a place. I finished moving yesterday. Cleaned the house for the final time. Then left, my keys sitting on a shelf. Never to enter my home again. Its no longer mine. Belonging to someone else. :)

VJBlair said...

Linda is now in Utah. Wow! How's she doing?

Stizz said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you to you and everyone else who helped with Mom's move. I'm sure it was quite the process. I haven't lived in Joyce for years, but once I realized our old house was really gone, it brought tears to my eyes...it's the end of the Kubalek's in WA. :( However, I am very happy that Mom can be close to family now. I'm glad she is meeting new people. It sounds like it's a nice little community in her apt complex.