So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Iron Chef Champ

Our family went up to Park City the beginning of this month to stay at the Westgate resort. We've gone there for years and always enjoy ourselves. Westgate plans activities for the guests' entertainment. This year they had an Iron Chef competition. You pay $5 and you get some random ingredient, go back to your room and cook something within an hour. The winner gets a prize. This is just up my alley. We cook most of our meals in our room's kitchen, so I had ingredients, but I had Paul bring back my two staples when he ran into town: Balsamic Vinegar and Red Wine...must haves for most sauces.
My ingredient turned out to be lime juice. I already had some delicious steaks in the fridge. I was trying to work out how to put lime juice into the mix, and then I remembered I had some plums. My entry was seared steak with plum lime sauce. It was DELICIOUS! I had never thought to put lime and plums together or to use plums for a meat sauce, but it worked (of course with a little help from my vinegar and cooking wine).
I took my tasty morsel down for judging. And I won!!! Okay, so it turned out I was the only entry, but hey, I still would have won. The judge had a sample anyway. This is how it went:
Me "I was told to have you taste my entry." Lady with a perplexed look on her face: "What is it?" Me "Seared steak with a plum lime reduction." (Paul says I've watched too many Top Chef episodes.) Lady: Blank stare. (Now I must tell you that although tasty beyond belief, plum lime sauce has an odd brown color, thus the stare.) Pause. Lady: "Okay." She slowly put some in her mouth and then her face changed. "This is really good!" Me: Look of relief, mixed with smugness. She ended up eating half of it. Me to myself: "Told you it was good." =)
I got a $20 gift certificate to the fancy restaurant there. Paul and I ordered an appetizer and two desserts that evening. I must say I felt very lah-de-dah. (I'll be holding a recipe signing shindig the third tuesday of September for all my fans.)

4 comments:

ABranch said...

Yeah! Congratulations! Casi and I think you are pretty cool right now. :) Now, I know an iron chef winner!

nettelyn said...

That is a great story! How often do you you create a new dish?

tink said...

Most of my cooking for meals is the "a little of this and a little of that" method. Most of my new dish creations take place when I'm entering a contest or have to take food to some party. A crazy philosophy really, but I'm by nature a bit bizarre. ;-)

Stizz said...

Whenever I try the "a little of this and a little of that" method, it usually ends up in the garbage. You're too talented! Good job at entering and being creative.