So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

And the Loser Is....

It's that time of year again: fair time. I decided to try my hand at the Mayor's pie contest; last year's win was a great encouragement. This year was Key Lime Pie. I have never made a Key Lime Pie. I called my sister, Patricia, a Key Lime expert, for some tips and then decided to make a version of my Cheesecake Lemon Bars, which are always a big hit. I did the cheesecake layer and then topped the pie with white chocolate curls...so lah-de-dah. You can take my word for it - it was very tasty. When I got to the judging, I found out right away that I was doomed. This year the Mayor decided to let his 3 kids and one of their friends help in the judging. There was a 14 yr old, an 11 yr old, and two 8 yr old boys. I had mixed some cashew Sandies cookies in the crust so it wouldn't be such a strong graham craker flawor. You can't taste the nuts, but I felt I should put a disclaimer in case someone was allergic. I wouldn't want someone's demise on my head just for a ribbon.
Well, before the judging began, one of the 8 yr olds boys came to his mom and said, "We forgot to tell them NO NUTS!!" Then I overheard the fair queen, also a judge, mumble something about cashews being nasty (not her words, but the gist of what she said). So out of 8 judges, 5 disliked nuts. The queen barely tasted mine and then pushed the plate aside...not a good sign.
When all was said and done, I tied for 5th out of 6 pies. The winning pie was very runny, but had thick dallups of a creamy frosting all over it. I have to admit that the pie that took second was very good.
As a consolation, the mayor did say that every pie had been voted as #1 by at least one person and that next year, to make the judging easier, there wouldn't be so many judges. He then came over to me and said he thought I had the best presentation. I felt all warm and fuzzy then. Ha. (Am I a sore loser or what?) As Nadine said, "Well at least you won last year and this year someone else gets a chance", which is true...but it's not as fun as winning every time.

3 comments:

ABranch said...

LOL! The woes of being judged. Too bad they did not state the "No nut" rule and the "who was judging" list before the pies were made. BYW: Your pie looks scrumptious!

Maghann said...

Duh - all those judges?? Bahumbug. You should have won and I didn't even get to taste this year's fantastic creation. I can just tell it was the best ;)

Stizz said...

Please stop flashing this picture of your delicious pie around...it's starting to make me jealous that I can't eat it! And I think the crust sounds excellent!