So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

For the Birds

I couldn't pin down this bird, but it's so majestic!

I've always liked birds, but thanks to my fabulous friend Angie, I've now become quite fascinated by them. During my trip to Oregon I was able to see many beautiful species and took some photos of a few.












Blue Heron and 3 Great-Tailed Grackles
My bird knowledge is not great, but from my research (mostly taken from Oregon's Department of Fish and Wildlife website), I think I found some of their names (though, it's highly possible I'm wrong). But no matter the names, they are intriguing and beautiful! Enjoy!








White bird is Glaucous-Winged Gull
others may be South Polar Skua
It was hard to see the details on these dark birds, but I believe they are Brandt's Cormorants

3 comments:

ABranch said...

I am impressed! You did an amazing job identifying these birds. I love watching others get the birding seed. I just love how connected birding can make me feel to a place.

so to address your questions. The first image is a great blue heron. They are majestic creatures. I have also had someone describe them as pterodactyl like. Now every time I see them in flight I think about dinosaurs. Great shot of the birds in flight. Casi also commented on how awesome it is.

I can not see the gulls very well and honestly they are a hard group of birds to grasp. For each gull species there are about 3-7 different plumage variations. My guess is that all of them are western gulls in different plumage's but I am only basing it on location and the number of birds there.

I can not tell on the cormorants. You have a better idea being there.

Great photos and thanks for sharing. Also thanks for the post card. They are seriously my favorite. I love going to the mail and getting something fun.

If you enjoyed the birds in Oregon you should give the local birds a shot. The great salt lake is a huge player in bird migration and the nesting season too; hundreds of thousands of birds spend the summer here. Its a great story in numbers and sound.

Maghann said...

I LOVE that last photo of the tree with the birds on it! I had no idea you were such a bird watcher ;)

Patricia Kay said...

You are quite the photographer. I love that you took the time to take pictures of the wildlife.