So much of what we hear about today is gloom and doom. I decided to create a blog where I and others can come for a little bit of happiness and maybe even laughter...it truly can be the best medicine. I hope these entries share a smile or two. Enjoy!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

That Itch is Back

First, Happy Valentine's Day everyone. All of you kind people who read my posts are definitely on the list of those I love. Isn't it good to love people...fills you up with happiness.
I probably should quote some wise person on the benefits of love on a special day like today, but instead, I want to talk about dirt. Now that the sun has been out and it's felt so warm, that old familiar itch is working on me again. The itch to get out and dig in the dirt, plant pretty things, clear out the debris and trim roses. I feel such a connection to the earth when I'm out digging away. (Hmmm, why don't I feel such a connection to my home when I'm cleaning....?) I enjoy a few months of rest, as I'm sure the land does, but I'm always ready to get back at it when there's just a hint of warmth and a mirage of spring. I think it's in my blood. I come from generations of farmers. My dad would go to work as a principal, come home for dinner and fit some planting or weeding in before he had to leave for a council meeting or go to watch one of our games. You could often find him in slacks, dress shirt, and tie, with his garden boots on standing in mud. He said his dream job would be to farm in the spring and summer, and write novels in the fall and winter. I relate to that dream.
Tomorrow for President's Day, I think I'll celebrate my freedom and get my hands dirty! Sound of rubbing hands together...I can't wait!!!

6 comments:

Migaloo said...

Just another reason why I love you. Happy digging, dear.

Maghann said...

I couldn't agree more!! I am DYING for the Spring to get here. Every day I look out my kitchen window and will my grass to get green and grow in nice and thick and for the weather to get warmer so I can go out and work! I NEED to go out and work!! Are we crazy for such thought??

tink said...

Crazy like a loon! but happy loons. =)

Stizz said...

What a difference a few hundred miles make...it's been snowing like crazy here. It feels like I'm moving backwards in time...feels like Christmas again. So I cannot say I have the same feelings of getting out and planting...but hopefully that day will come soon and I won't be stuck in the snow forever. These pictures make me miss Dad and our old place. I remember sometimes thinking that all that land Dad used for planting could be used for playing soccer instead. However, now looking back, I wouldn't have had it any other way. I love gardens and can't wait until I can have one of my own...they're just too good to pass up. :)

ABranch said...

I looked out a window and saw green things poking out of our soil and thought about you and your post. LOL! Being a new home, I have no idea what it is. :)

Patricia Kay said...

Your efforts and love for nature certianly pay off. Your yard is a refuge and I love to come and enjoy the fruits of your labors. Until the sun comes back I will have to enjoy it through all the many pictures of fun times at your house. You definatly have a green hand.